Why Warwick For 3RD & 4TH July 2021?
Built over 400 years ago of two stories and attics, it is a timber framed building, the upper floor being jetted on exposed joists, with period gables and chimney still in situ. It became the Parish Poorhouse up until 1838 and in 1857 Thomas David, a Millwright established a beerhouse cum waiting room and coaches & horses would have stopped there on their way to various towns. Currently licensed by the Beer & Coffee Co. the facilities for patrons has increased to a 2 acre garden area to seat 250.
Marquee and outside Bar — Inside is a snug room dedicated to Healey artifacts, as this was the watering hole for staff at the DHMCo. From 1963 to 1974.
Tel: 01926 730496 Website: https://theblackpug.pub
Click here to book for the 3rd of July event at this venue.
Market Hall Museum
Warwick Market Hall was built of sandstone in the 17th century. Areas were rented to tradesmen, and there was a small prison on the ground floor. Markets were held here until 1905, after which the whole building became a museum. From May 20th 2021 there will be a Healey Exhibition on the whole ground floor for 12 months with FREE entry / admission. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat.
Initially there will be a booking system, for details click here.
Tel: 01926—412501 Website: https://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/
WCRO Priory Park
Warwick County Records Office established in 1933 has records artifacts dating back to the 12th century. In 2015 the Geoffrey Healey archives were obtained with assistance from English heritage and other organisations. These documents and photographs have been catalogued and are ac-cessible to research on the internet, additionally, the Market Hall Museum is running a 12 month Exhibition that includes some of the archive materi-al. Warwickshire Records Office has additional material and researchers can book a time slot in advance here.
The record office will be open from 2pm until 5pm on July 3rd for visi-tors to view a small display of archives from the collection without booking.
Tel: 01926 738959 Website: https://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk
JME Lock Lane
The CAPE at Lock Lane Warwick was where Donald M. Healey CBE first set up his business shortly after WW2. Harold Everard and Jonathan Everard both worked for the company, later setting up their own business.
Jonathan Everard purchased the old ‘CAPE’ works and now the whole set of buildings that was once the original Donald Healey Motor Co. up to mid 1963, is run as before by JME carrying out full restorations service repairs and competition preparation.
Tel: 01926-499000 Website: https://www.jmehealeys.co.uk
The Cape of Good Hope Pub
‘One of Warwick’s Best Kept Secrets’ On the side of the Grand Union Canal and built only a year or two after the canal was opened in the very early 1800’s.
Its name is a mystery but paintings of the Cape of Good Hope sailing ship may give a clue but no one really knows ! This was the watering hole for the DHMCo staff before they moved to Cinema Works in 1963. A Plaque dedicated to this by the AH Club America is on the wall. A great B&B Cottage is next door sleeps 4.
Tel: 01926-498138 Website: https://www.thecapeofgoodhopepub.com
The Saxon Mill
The mill originally called Gibbeclive Mill in the 12th century. It was the property of St Mary's Abbey, Kenilworth and the Augustinian canons until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was rebuilt in 1822. It was a working mill until 1938, and it was converted into a restaurant and bar in 1952. It became a well established meeting place for the top brass in the Coventry Motor Industry, many a Thursday club once a month and an annual dinner /dance venue for AH Club events. Situated on the River Avon with great views, outside eating alongside the waterways, the old Mill Wheel restored and running beneath the building with a viewing platform.
Tel: 01926 492255 Website: https://www.saxonmill.co.uk/
The site of the ‘Warwick’ Cinema started in 1939 and finished in 1940. It had closed by the early 60s and the DHMCo. Moved in on 3rd July 1963 until December 13th 1974 when the Co. was sold. In 1988 it was demolished and Anglia Secure Homes Ltd opened the 67 apartments in 1989. It was named Healey Court after the Donald Healey Motor Co. and has had a long term association with the cars the club. The last three years has seen the result of an official Blue Plaque being awarded and the unveiling will take place on the 3rd July 2021 which was Donald Healey’s birthday.
Tel: 01926 402922
The British Motor Museum
JULY 4th will be HEALEY COLLECTIVE day at Gaydon Motor Museum. All Healey Clubs, continuations, replicas and also Tribute cars as well as race cars and Spridgets, have been invited. Booking online for this event with eventbrite systems can be found on the July 4th event page.
Where to Stay in Warwick
Looking for accomodation during your visit, click here to see a recommended list of places to stay from visitwarwick.co.uk